Friday, March 18, 2011

Epically Curious

My voice has been quiet as of late. This adventure has taken twists and turns that I could not have perceived when I began my journey. I imagined that this would be a one year travel adventure in which I would experience the culture, beauty, and food (of course) of many different spots within Thailand, and if I was lucky a few places outside of the country as well. I had no clue, nor could I have had any idea, of what was in store for me. I think that in many ways I still have no clue of what lies ahead of me. As this is starting to feel like a lil’ bit of mental masturbation, let me get to the point—in the past week I have signed a contract with a school that now owns me for the next couple of years. Due to the length of the contract by the time I complete my agreement I will have been living in Thailand for nearly three years. There is certainly nothing vacation-esque about spending three years living in Asia. I chose Thailand for many different reasons: the climate, the beautiful architecture, the gorgeous geographical highlights, the rich history, and the culture. Now I am starting to think that, not unlike many things in my life, Thailand has chosen me.

I am not certain why Thailand has chosen me, or what I am to learn here. I do know that I have already grown considerably, and that I have a long way to go.  This brings me to the purpose of this post, where do I go from here? This blog was set up to document my adventures, and all of the strange and wonderful culture and food that I could soak up in a year. So now what? The purpose of my trip has changed, does that mean that the purpose of this blog must change with it? I certainly think so. So do I become the Epically Curious Gypsy? Maybe I don’t need to define it today. Maybe I have some time to decide.

In the meantime I have many new adventures that will be coming your way, and which I am very excited about. I will be traveling to Bali for a quick five day jaunt to explore a bit of the island, its culture, and its attraction to so many foreigners. I will be traveling with a few of my favorite ladies to Ubud, and a spot we haven’t quite chosen yet. We will be in Ubud, which is near the center of the island, for about three days. During that time we will be enjoying the many sights, sounds, and sensations that is the Bali Spirit Festival. The Bali Spirit festival is five days of music, yoga, and sacred dance and movement. Of course I am not on an unlimited budget, so I will not be attending the daytime events as I could not afford nearly 300 US for that, which will allow me the opportunity to take day trips with Ubud as my home base. I am looking at this as a scouting trip of sorts. You see, arriving in Bali from Thailand is rather cheap, and I just know that this will not be my last trip.

My next adventure after that takes me to India. India is a place that I have been fascinated with since I was a little girl. I can not express sufficiently the sheer wonder I am experiencing over making my way there. I will be in India for nearly two weeks. During our stay in India we will be traveling to New Dehli, Jaipur, Agra, Gwalior, and Khajuraho. The route we are taking is one of the most popular with tourists as all of those cities have some of the most beautiful structures in India—including the Taj Mahal. I am also saving my pennies as I just know that I will go a little shop happy in India. I have been purchasing imports from there since I was a teenager, so you can imagine what actually being there will do to me. Yikes! Have I mentioned that I am going with a back pack, and coming back with a backpack and duffel or two? I haven’t? Hmmm. I promise copious food pictures will be taken there, and more than a few recipes will be shared. Until then, I will leave you with a thought that has been rattling around in my dome for quite a while now—if you could go anywhere in the world, why wouldn’t you?

The Epicurious Gypsy

1 comment:

  1. That sounds awesome. I have applied for an extension to my grant here in Turkey, but I don't know if I will get it. If I do, coming to visit you in Thailand will become a more distinct possibility (if you'll have me). You are also always welcome in Turkey.

    Hugs and Spring tidings,
    d

    ReplyDelete